FEATURE/Military unit in Targoviste where Ceausescus were executed becomes museum drawing visitors worldwide
Tourists from around the world, from the United States, South America and across Europe, are increasingly drawn to the museum established on the site of the military unit in Targoviste where Nicolae and Elena Ceausescu were executed in 1989.
On the very day AGERPRES visited the former military unit near Targoviste railway station - now transformed into the Dambovita Military Traditions Museum - Cavalry School - on a rainy spring Friday, two groups of visitors were touring the site: one made up of foreign students from Bucharest and another of pupils from Turkey visiting Targoviste through an Erasmus project.
This is the first year the museum has joined the Night of Museums programme and it can be visited free of charge on Saturday, May 23.
'It is a museum for which it would be difficult to find anything similar not only in Romania. There is such an interesting and special blend within this building that we could almost discuss every day a different theme, subtheme, idea or personality, from before the time of Mircea the Elder right up to the 2000s and beyond. It is true, this is the first time the museum is taking part in the Night of Museums programme. So far, the museum has recorded a large number of visitors from outside Dambovita County and even from outside Romania. Therefore, it is a very good test for us as an institution to see how the people of Targoviste will react because, during Night of Museums, we expect to welcome local residents, and I am very interested to see their reaction because we all pass by this building and this building carries a special memory, as it is the place where Nicolae and Elena Ceausescu met their end,' Irina Cirstina, museographer at the Targoviste 'Curtea Domneasca' (Princely Court) National Museum Complex, told AGERPRES.
The museum is organised into two main sections. The ground floor recreates the atmosphere of the final years of communism. The original furniture has been preserved, as have the decorative elements and colour schemes from 1989. Visitors can tour the office of military unit commander Colonel Andrei Kemenici, the detention rooms where the Ceausescus were held, the trial room and reconstructed spaces depicting everyday life under communism. In the inner courtyard stands the wall against which Nicolae and Elena Ceausescu were executed, while archival footage from the December 25, 1989 trial is screened in the conference hall.
The upper floor focuses on Targoviste's military history and the legacy of the city's Cavalry School, displaying photographs, uniforms, weapons, medals, personal belongings of officers and military publications.
From the moment visitors enter the building, they are immersed in the atmosphere of an event that changed history. One of the museum's most striking sections is the reconstructed trial room, complete with mannequins dressed in military uniforms and carrying assault rifles. The reconstruction follows the original details closely, including the placement of judges, prosecutors and soldiers, as well as the paper airplane folded by General Victor Stanculescu during the proceedings.
'In the video footage, you can see that General Stanculescu had made himself a paper airplane and was playing with it while waiting for the trial to end. We recreated even this detail,' says Irina Cirstina.
The clothes worn by those present at the trial were recreated based on the original footage filmed on December 25, 1989. The military uniforms are authentic, while the clothes worn by Nicolae and Elena Ceausescu were reproduced by specialists in historical reenactments.
'Everything has been reconstructed rigorously. Prosecutor Voinea, for example, appears dressed exactly as in the footage, with blue jeans and a sweater. Everyone is seated exactly as in the original images,' explains Irina Cirstina.
Visitors are often surprised by the small size of the room.
'On television it looked like a large hall. In reality, it was an administrative office hastily adapted for the trial,' explains Irina Cirstina.
The museum also seeks to recreate the uncertainty and panic that marked those days. According to the museographer, soldiers and officers in the unit feared terrorist attacks and constantly moved the Ceausescus around the compound, often disguising them in military uniforms and transporting them in armoured vehicles through the courtyard during the day. Nicolae Ceausescu reportedly believed for a time that workers gathering outside the gates had come to rescue him and hoped he could still address them publicly.
The execution site itself has been preserved almost intact, with bullet marks still visible on the wall. The museum also recounts lesser-known stories from the dictator's final hours, including his treatment for diabetes and his expectation that loyalist forces would eventually intervene.
'They selected three paratroopers to fire, but in practice only one carried out the decisive shots. Soldiers from the unit itself were not used for the execution. Those paratroopers were brought in from outside. The man who fired is the one visitors can see in the trial room, behind the prosecution - there is a mannequin there, representing the paratrooper, and his name is displayed. He was the only one who fired. Nicolae and Elena Ceausescu had their hands tied, Elena protested, they were taken outside and led there. Three people had been assigned to shoot. One did not fire at all, one fired wildly, and this paratrooper, Boieru, he fired. It is known that it happened at 2:45 p.m.,' explains Irina Cirstina.
Beyond December 1989, the museum tells the broader story of the building and the city itself. The main hall preserves its original colours from the reign of King Ferdinand, while new technologies are being used to bring history closer to the public. For the first time in a museum in Dambovita County, holograms have been introduced, allowing visitors upstairs to see and hear figures such as Mircea the Elder, Vlad the Impaler, Matei Basarab and Constantin Brancoveanu.
According to museum representatives, around 70% of visitors are foreigners or tourists from other Romanian counties. Groups from France, Spain and Turkey have visited, along with individual tourists from South America.
'Someone from South America recently wrote to us saying they are coming specially to Europe and want to visit Targoviste. There is huge interest in this place,' says Irina Cirstina.
The museum is currently undergoing digitalisation, and future visitors will be able to use audio guides and access rare books about the 1989 Revolution and the beginnings of Romania's post-communist period.
'We want people to come here not only to visit, but also to stay, to read and to understand the historical context,' explains Irina Cirstina.
For her, the museum's mission is clear: to present history honestly.
'We must be as well prepared and as honest with the public as possible. History was written in this building and people want to understand what happened here,' the museographer concludes. AGERPRES (RO - writing by: Cornelia Dumitru; EN - writing by: Simona Iacob)
The content of the www.agerpres.ro website has the exclusive purpose of public informing.
All the information published on this website by AGERPRES is protected by relevant legal dispositions.
It is forbidden to copy, reproduce, recompile, decompile, distribute, publish, display, modify, create derived components or products or full services, as well as any exploitation of the site's content.
Details in the section Terms of Use. If you are interested in picking up AGERPRES news items, please contact the Marketing Department – marketing@agerpres.ro.
The use of the Comments section entails your obligation to respect the AGERPRES terms and conditions in regards to the publishing of comments on the www.agerpres.ro.
Other news in category
Romanian authorities tighten security for Max Korzh concert, warn of online disinformation campaign
Romanian authorities on Saturday stepped up security measures around Bucharest's National Arena ahead of a concert by Belarusian rapper Max Korzh, while the Romanian Gendarmerie warned of an online disinformation campaign using unrelated images falsely linked to the event. According to the Romanian Gendarmerie, images and posts circulating online and alleg
FEATURE/More than 2,000 participants from seven countries join Invictus Heroes Half Marathon in Bistrita
More than 2,000 sports and fitness enthusiasts from across the country, as well as from six other countries, embraced the Invictus spirit on Saturday and took part in the half marathon dedicated to the heroes of yesterday and today, organised in Bistrita. The number of participants in the fourth edition of the Invictus Heroes Half Marathon was a record one, pr
Romanian, Lithuanian defence ministers discuss strengthening Eastern Flank, countering disinformation
Strengthening the Eastern Flank is not an abstract concept or a slogan, but a concrete effort advanced daily through decisions, investments and real missions, interim Defence Minister Radu Miruta said. A delegation of the Ministry of National Defence (MApN), led by Radu Miruta, paid a working visit on Friday to the Romanian 'Carpathian Vipers' detachme
Ministry of Foreign Affairs joins 'Night of Museums' for first time, exhibits declassified documents
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE) will participate for the first time in the 'Night of Museums' event taking place on Saturday, displaying archive documents recently declassified and prepared for public access at the exhibition space within the Foreign Ministry's Information Office on Calea Victoriei No. 88, between 18:00 and 22:00. As part of
Rescue operation for competition participants in Bucegi Mountains; three people fall into ravine
Rescue teams intervened on Saturday to save several people who slipped on ice-covered sections and fell into rugged terrain in the Bucegi Mountains while taking part in the 'Transilvania 100' competition. According to a press release from the Department for Emergency Situations, authorities were alerted on Saturday to an incident in the area between Ma
Rare parchment signed by French King Louis XIII enters Dambovita County Library's collection
A rare document signed by King Louis XIII of France has recently entered the collection of the 'Ion Heliade Radulescu' Dambovita County Library, an acquisition the institution considers one of its most valuable in recent years, head of the library's Public Relations Service Alexandru Stefanescu announced Friday at a press conference.
Prince Radu meets with organisers and sponsors of Invictus Heroes Half Marathon in Bistrita
Prince Radu took part on Friday evening, in Bistrita, in a meeting with the organisers and sponsors of the Invictus Heroes Half Marathon, now in its fourth edition and scheduled for 23 May. His Royal Highness said he felt 'lucky' to attend the event and believes that the thousands of people who have joined the competition, through their presence or inv
Long Night of Museums: Central University Library offers guided tours, spotlight on great boyar families
As part of the Long Night of Museums, the 'Carol I' Central University Library will open its doors to the public on Saturday from 19:00 to midnight, offering Romanian- and English-language guided tours and a journey into the history of Romania's great boyar families, the institution announced. 'In a single evening, the public will have the oppo
FEATURE STORY/Thousands of Romanian, foreign pilgrims travel the Way of Faith to Sumuleu Ciuc Pentecost gathering
Pilgrims from Romania and abroad are streaming into Miercurea-Ciuc ahead of Saturday's Sumuleu Ciuc Pentecost pilgrimage - considered the largest Catholic procession of its kind in Central and Eastern Europe. Many have been on the road for days, some for weeks, and describe the journey as far more than a physical effort. Groups arrive on foot, on horseback
Botosani Tribunal rejects action against University of Bucharest regarding studies of President Nicusor Dan
The Botosani Tribunal rejected, on Friday, as unfounded, an action by former judge Lăcramioara Axinte, who asked the University of Bucharest to make public information regarding President Nicusor Dan's studies. The action against the University of Bucharest was opened in February of this year, the former magistrate invoking the provisions of Law 544/2001 i
Nazare: EC's spring forecast shows that economy needs well-targeted investments and reforms to support recovery
The interim Minister of Finance, Alexandru Nazare, participates on Friday and Saturday in the informal meeting of the Economic and Financial Affairs Council (ECOFIN), where discussions will also take place regarding the importance of completing the negotiations on the revision of Romania's National Recovery and Resilience Plan, in order to secure the grant component
Romanian Air Force pilot awarded after downing drone in Estonia
The Romanian Air Force pilot who shot down a drone that entered Estonian airspace was decorated by the leadership of the Ministry of National Defense with the 'Envoy for Peace' Emblem, 1st Class, during a working visit to the Siauliai Air Base in Lithuania, where the Carpathian Vipers detachment is deployed for Baltic Air Policing missions, the Ministry announced on
Craiova International Shakespeare Festival 2026 opens with Japan-themed events
The International Shakespeare Festival, organised by the 'Marin Sorescu' National Theatre and the Shakespeare Foundation, opened on Thursday evening in Craiova with a series of events dedicated to Japan, marking the start of the 21- 31 May edition. Speaking at the official opening, Japan's ambassador to Romania, Takashi Katae, said that the festiva
Only 5.2% of companies in Romania use AI, compared to European average of 20% (entrepreneur)
Only 5.2% of companies in Romania currently use technologies based on artificial intelligence (AI), compared to a European average of about 20%, while 66% of Romanian SMEs say they want to adopt such solutions, said Viorel Baltaretu, entrepreneur and former secretary of state in the Ministry of Economy, at a specialized debate on Friday. '5.2% is the perce











